Thursday, July 9, 2009

Second Try, Same As The First

I bought five 7" the other night at the Lemuria show. They are as follows:

Lemuria/Off With Their Heads - Under The Influence Vol. 7
No Idols - S/T
Get Bent/Jean Claude Jam Band - Split
Oak And Bone - S/T
We The People - Time To Operate

The show was a lot of fun. Not necessarily because the bands were all amazing (they weren't) but because it felt really cool to have a lot of my friends from various circles in one place just hanging out and enjoying music and stuff. I didn't catch the first band (although we jumped their van after one of the members asked "if we were cool") but the second and third weren't bad I guess, just generic as fuck. They both sounded like almost carbon copies of Teenage Bottlerocket. I mean its awesome if thats what they're into doing, but I dunno... I don't wanna sound like a snob or anything but my tastes have kinda texturized a little bit and that kind of stuff just seems lacking nowadays. Yet I still listen to Off With Their Heads. Oh well, we all know I'm a hypocrite as it is. The

Lemuria were fucking awesome, as usual. The crowd was a little lacking in enthusiasm but not nearly as badly as the Buffalo show last month. I feel like the fact that they are getting to be pretty recognizable also brings with it the revalation that there are going to be a lot of people at shows who don't necessarily love it as much as I do. Which is fine, I guess. Just kind of a bummer. On a related note, I hear that The Gaslight Anthem have been playing to HUGE crowds on their tour with Bruce Springsteen. Well I guess that's pretty obvious, seeing as its the boss... but still kind of a bummer. I can't seem to get away from that longing to have my favorite bands stay mine. Whatever.

On to heavier news... the Oak and Bone 7 inch? Just kill me now, cause it doesn't get a whole lot better. I feel like I'm taking huge HUGE bong rips every time I listen to this while simultaneously being caught in a massive storm of epic riffs and fuzz. Weston, if you're reading this, I tip my hat to you and the other Oak Boners. Toby and I jammed out (on guitar and drums respectively) with the riff from the end of "On Your Own Or Not At All" for like a half hour last night... heavy as balls, impossible to duplicate though if you are untalented pricks like us. The pauses in "Atavistic".... goddamn there are no words to really say the kind of internal destruction evoked in me and how I just have visions of huge mountains collapsing. Also, "Powercloud" is a fucking AMAZING song and definitely should have gone on the 7 inch if space permitted. This is a record you all need to hear, I don't give a shit who you are. I read a review of it in punknews that compared the band to No Idols (another band I've gotten into recently,) which I can definitely see.

Tomorrow I'm going to see Sick Fix, Coke Bust, and Black SS. In the words of Eddie McCarthy "this girl makes my dick hard... but Sick Fix makes it harder." Should be a lot of fun. I really like the spark art gallery... its got a really cool vibe to it and is just about perfect sized in my opinion with a nice little front area for people to sell merch and conversate with teh punx.

I've recently (today) rediscovered how much Ceremony makes me lose my mind. "Still Nothing Moves You" has a kind of darkness and brooding hatred in it that I don't hear often. Could be something to do with the fact that it was written in prison, I dunno. The buildup in "Dead Moon California" is straight up APOCALYPTIC. Somehow even Ron has gotten into that band, and he doesn't even listen to any hardcore.

Alright I think I've pretty much exhausted this music bullshit for now. I might write about myself later. Who knows?

No comments: